Coronavirus outbreak: All the current updates

Coronavirus outbreak: All the current updates

Qatar has become the latest Middle Eastern country to report its very first case of coronavirus.

The client, a 36- year-old guy, returned from Iran, which has the greatest variety of coronavirus-related deaths outside China.

The news on Saturday comes in the middle of growing concerns in the Gulf, with Saudi Arabia having just recently halted travel to holy sites such as Capital and Medina.

Meanwhile, in the Asia Pacific, South Korea advised citizens to stay inside your home as it cautioned of a “critical moment” in its battle against the coronavirus after taping the most significant everyday dive in infections, with 813 new cases taking the tally to 3,150 with 17 brand-new deaths.

Seoul is facing the biggest break out of the virus outside China, the epicentre of the lethal disease. The National Health Commission reported on Saturday a minimum of 47 new deaths, giving 2,835 the variety of fatalities nationwide among 79,251 confirmed cases.

More:

In Europe, Italy has actually reported 888 coronavirus cases and 18 deaths, the most in Europe.

On Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) alerted that the spread of the virus is “growing”. More than 85,000 individuals have been infected worldwide.

Here are the current updates:

Saturday, February 29

17: 00 GMT – Cases in the Netherlands boost to six

Two more individuals in the Netherlands have been identified with the coronavirus, increasing the overall variety of the cases to 6, according to health company RIVM

The wife and child of the country’s first coronavirus client evaluated positive, RIVM said.

16: 43 GMT – Iraq confirms five news cases

Iraq has spotted 5 brand-new cases of coronavirus, 4 in Baghdad and one in Babel province, the health ministry stated, taking the overall number of cases there to 13.

The patients were put in quarantine, the ministry stated in a statement.

Coronavirus precautions in Iraq's Baghdad

The total number of cases in Iraq is 13, according to the authorities [Reuters]

16: 00 GMT – Azerbaijan shuts border with Iran

Azerbaijan said it had closed its border with Iran for two weeks to prevent the spread of coronavirus, after the death toll in Iran increased to 43, the highest number beyond China.

Two Azerbaijanis have been placed in quarantine after testing favorable for the coronavirus, the government said in a declaration, including that both had gotten here from Iran.

It stated the decision to close the border had actually been taken “in light of the World Health Organisation’s recommendations and the experience of other countries related to the risk of the spread of coronavirus“.

15: 45 GMT – Lebanon validates three brand-new cases

Lebanon‘s health ministry stated 3 brand-new cases of coronavirus had been validated, state news firm NNA reported, bringing the total variety of cases in the country to seven.

The ministry said the 3 new patients had actually been quarantined at a Beirut health center which their cases were the outcome of contact with those who were already infected in Lebanon

15: 20 GMT – Pakistan reveals two more cases

The Pakistani health minister verified two more coronavirus infections in the nation, bringing the total number of cases in the nation to four.

229/ I can verify 2 new cases of #coronavirus illness have actually been identified today in Pakistan. 1 in Sindh and 1 in Fed areas. These patients are being dealt with according to medical protocols. Contact tracing has started and we will make certain all worried are taken well care off

— Zafar Mirza (@zfrmrza) February 29, 2020

15: 01 GMT – Northern Italian schools, universities to stay closed

Schools and universities will stay closed for a 2nd consecutive week in 3 northern Italian areas in an effort to include Europe’s worst outbreak of coronavirus, the head of the Emilia Romagna region said.

Stefano Bonaccini wrote on Facebook that besides his own region, academic centres in the neighbouring Lombardy and Veneto would remain shuttered on the guidance of the federal government, rushing any hopes of a quick go back to normality in Italy.


This is Umut Uras in Doha, covering the latest advancements on the outbreak.

Different countries around the world, such as Lebanon, Pakistan and South Korea, have actually reported brand-new cases of coronavirus throughout the day. Qatar has actually reported its very first case, as a 36- year-old guy, who returned from Iran, evaluated positive for the infection.

On the other hand, Iran reported nine more deaths due to the coronavirus. The country has the greatest variety of coronavirus-related deaths outside China.

Keep following this blog for today’s newest updates.

11: 26 GMT – Qatar reports first case of coronavirus

Qatar’s health ministry has reported the very first case of coronavirus infection in the nation, according to the state-run Qatar News Firm (QNA).

The client is a 36- year-old Qatari guy who was just recently evacuated from Iran on a government-chartered plane and had actually remained in quarantine with other evacuees, QNA reported. The health ministry stated the infected guy remains in stable condition.

10: 55 GMT – Taiwan implicates China of waging cyberwar to interrupt infection battle

Taiwan Foreign Minister Joseph Wu has actually accused China of utilizing “cyber warriors” to wage a “war” on the island and disrupt its battle against the coronavirus with fake news.

The coronavirus outbreak has strained already bad ties in between Taipei and Beijing, which claims the island as part of China. Taiwan states China has blocked its efforts to take part with the WHO independently.

#PRC officials say they appreciate our health as if we’re blood relatives. But while #Taiwan is dealing with #COVID19 stemming from #Wuhan, their cyber warriors are waging war to interrupt our efforts. This is epidemic fighting with Chinese qualities. I’m speechless. JW pic.twitter.com/mOsZMNpEOe

— 外交部 Ministry of Foreign Affairs, ROC (Taiwan) (@MOFA_Taiwan) February 29, 2020

10: 00 GMT – Iran reports nine more deaths

Iran’s health ministry has said 205 brand-new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in the country in the last 24 hours, with 9 more deaths reported.

The brand-new numbers bring the overall deaths in the nation to 43 amongst 593 cases.

09: 40 GMT – North Korea requires more powerful anti-virus efforts

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has actually called for more powerful anti-virus efforts to guard against COVID-19, saying there will be “major effects” if the disease infects the country.

During a governing celebration meeting, Kim called for the nation’s anti-epidemic head office to enhance screening and tests to seal off all “channels and area through which the transmittable disease may find its method”, Pyongyang’s main Korean Central News Firm said.

Kim said all fields and systems of the country must “unconditionally” follow quarantine instructions laid-out by the anti-epidemic headquarters, according to The Associated Press news company.

This undated picture released from North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on February 15, 2020 shows people in protective suits spraying disinfectant at an undisclosed location in No

An undated photo released from North Korea’s official Korean Central News Firm on February 15 reveals people in protective matches spraying disinfectant at a concealed place in the nation [AFP]

09: 25 GMT – Saudi Arabia contacts citizens to hold off Lebanon travel

Saudi Arabia contacted its citizens and homeowners to hold off travel to Lebanon over concerns of the spread of coronavirus, the Saudi embassy in Lebanon stated on Twitter on Saturday.

Lebanon verified its 4th case of the infection on Friday and revealed that it was closing all schools until March 8.

09: 10 GMT – Kuwait asks residents to avoid taking a trip

Kuwait is contacting its citizens to avoid travelling over concerns of coronavirus contamination, a health ministry official stated at a media conference.

The Gulf state has not signed up any new coronavirus infections over the past 24 hours, she stated. The total variety of people contaminated with the virus in Kuwait is 45, the health ministry said on Friday, which has reported no deaths.

08: 30 GMT – S Korea reports 219 brand-new cases

There were 219 brand-new coronavirus cases in South Korea, bringing the nation’s overall infections to 3,150, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

The brand-new cases added to the 594 verified previously in the day. Together they logged a record day-to-day increase in infections since South Korea verified its very first patient on January 20.

07: 55 GMT – Russia asks citizens to avoid foreign travel

A senior Russian authorities has actually called on citizens of the country to avoid non-essential travel abroad over fears about the growing variety of coronavirus cases globally.

Anna Popova, the head of Russia’s customer health watchdog, told regional news firms that Russians should stay put to avoid contracting the infection, according to Reuters news company.

” In order to consider yourself safeguarded today, firstly, possible future journeys outside the native nation require to be lowered as much as possible,” Popova stated. “Now is a time when it is unworthy leaving Russia.”

russia coronavirus

A household using face masks walk at Biblioteka Imeni Lenina Metro station in Moscow [Dimitar Dilkoff/AFP]

07: 00 GMT – Taiwan reports 5 brand-new cases

Taiwan reported a dive of five cases of the coronavirus on Saturday, consisting of 4 people who had contact with another patient in a health center and someone returning from the Middle East, bringing Taiwan’s overall to 39.

The federal government’s Central Upsurge Command Centre stated a cleaner and three nurses were the four staff who had been contaminated at the medical facility, which was dealing with another coronavirus case. The 5th brand-new case is a lady in her 60 s who went on a tour to Egypt and Dubai.

06: 40 GMT – Australia bans foreign tourists from Iran

Australia’s health minister has said the country will ban foreign travellers arriving from Iran due to the country’s “high death rate” from coronavirus, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

Health Minister Greg Hunt stated the ban will go into result on March 1 and will last for 14 days. Australian citizens will be permitted to return from Iran throughout that time, but will be needed to self isolate for 14 days, the paper reported.

05: 44 GMT – Uzbekistan Airways halts flights to Seoul

Uzbekistan Airways will momentarily stop flights to the South Korean capital of Seoul from March 1 over issues about a coronavirus outbreak in the Asian nation, the airline said on Saturday.

The airline company stopped flights to the Saudi Arabian cities of Jeddah and Medina over the growing number of infection infections in February.

05: 28 GMT – New coronavirus infection in Thailand takes tally to 42

Thailand recorded a brand-new coronavirus infection, taking its tally to 42, a health authorities has stated.

The newest case is a 21- year-old Thai salesman whose job brought him exposure to foreign travelers, Sukhum Kanchanaphimai, the irreversible secretary of the health ministry, informed a news conference.


This is Joseph Stepansky in Doha taking over from Ted Regencia

Here is a quick summary of the latest advancements:

South Korea has actually reported 594 brand-new coronavirus cases, the most reported infections in a single day because the outbreak began. The new numbers bring the total in the country to 2,931, with 17 deaths.

Meanwhile, the United States has reported cases in California and Oregon of unidentified origin, disconcerting health officials.

Keep following us here for today’s latest updates.

04: 33 GMT – Japan to develop fund to subsidise moms and dads during school closure

Japan’s federal government plans to develop a fund to help business pay aids to employees who need to take day of rests to take care of their children while schools are closed, the Nikkei company daily reported on Saturday, without citing sources.

The relocation follows Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Thursday asked local authorities to shut schools from Monday in a bid to suppress the spread of the coronavirus.

This suggests students will be out from Monday a minimum of till the new academic year begins in early April, prompting Japanese parents, in addition to instructors and companies, to scramble to discover brand-new ways to cope.

Infections from the virus in Japan have actually topped 200, with five deaths – consisting of one on Friday of a man in his 70 s. That omits more than 700 infections and five more deaths from the quarantined cruise liner Diamond Princess, docked in Yokohama.

03: 42 GMT – UN chief recommends ministers, diplomats skip meeting due to coronavirus risks – letter

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has recommended that ministers and diplomats skip a meeting of the Commission on the Status of Women in New York next month due to the coronavirus break out, according to a letter seen by Reuters.

More than 7,000 individuals usually attend the yearly meeting, officials said, which is dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of ladies. It is due to be held from March 9 to 20.

However, in a letter to the UN member states from the chair of the commission, Armenia’s UN Ambassador Mher Margaryan said Guterres had actually suggested that member states “reduce and reduce the session” and cancel dozens of side occasions.

02: 45 GMT – Oregon reports very first coronavirus case of unknown origin

The United States state of Oregon has reported its first coronavirus case, which is of unknown origin.

According to the declaration from Oregon health authorities, the infected person – recognized as a local of Washington County – had neither history of travel to a nation where the infection was circulating, nor is believed to have had close contact with another validated case.

Public health authorities are considering it a likely community-transmitted case, which suggests that the origin of the infection is unknown, the statement included.

Oregon lies just north of the state of California, which reported its second infection late on Friday – likewise of unidentified origin.

01: 25 GMT – South Korea reports 594 brand-new coronavirus cases, total hits 2,931

South Korea reported 594 new coronavirus cases, raising the country’s total infections to 2,931, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated on Saturday.

00: 42 GMT – China reports 427 brand-new coronavirus cases, 47 deaths

Mainland China had 427 new verified cases of coronavirus infections on Friday, the country’s National Health Commission stated on Saturday, up from 327 cases a day earlier.

That brings the total built up number of verified cases in mainland China so far to 79,251

The death toll from the break out in mainland China had actually reached 2,835 as of completion of Friday, up by 47 from the previous day.

Of the overall variety of deaths, at least 45 were from Hubei, the epicentre of the outbreak. Of the 45 deaths in Hubei, 37 were from the city of Wuhan.

00: 10 GMT – California validates 2nd coronavirus case

The United States state of California has actually confirmed a second case of coronavirus.

” Now, we have a case who did not recently travel or be available in contact with anyone understood to be ill,” Sara Cody, the director of public health for Santa Clara County, near San Francisco, told press reporters.

She said the 2nd patient is a lady being dealt with at a healthcare facility.

California - coronavirus

California said it was keeping an eye on some 8,400 individuals as the United States state validates 2nd coronavirus case [Josh Edelson/AFP]

23: 19 GMT (Friday) – US prompts residents to prevent non-essential travel to Italy

The United States on Friday alerted versus non-essential travel to Italy, a leading destination for United States travelers, over the growing coronavirus epidemic.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “suggests that travellers prevent all inessential travel to Italy. There is limited access to adequate treatment in impacted locations”, a declaration stated

The State Department raised its travel recommendations a notch for Italy to “reevaluate travel”.

23: 04 GMT – US holds off top with ASEAN leaders

The United States will delay a meeting with leaders of Southeast Asian countries it prepared to host on March 14, amidst issues about the spread of the coronavirus, 2 United States authorities familiar with the matter stated on Friday.

United States President Donald Trump had actually welcomed leaders of the 10- member Association of Southeast Asian nations to meet in Las Vegas after he did not go to a top with the group in Bangkok in November.

The US State Department did not right away react to an ask for remark.

19: 50 GMT – 2 South Africans test favorable in Japan

Two South Africans on board the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise liner have actually tested favorable for the coronavirus, according to a state-run medical institute.

” We validate that these residents are currently being dealt with in Japan and remain in great care,” stated a statement by the National Institute for Contagious Illness.

Hey there and welcome to Al Jazeera’s continuing protection of the coronavirus from our bureau in Kuala Lumpur – Ted Regencia

Click here to check out updates on Friday, February 28.

Learn More